BCREGMED Dragon’s Den Competition for Trainee Projects (ROUND 2!!!)
March 15, 2022 @ 9:30 am - 11:30 am
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!
Are you a trainee? Do you have a trainee? Do the two of you want a super-shiny stipend grant to pursue a new project and celebrate the holidays?
BCREGMED is bringing in the new year with a brand-new opportunity to support trainees! We are now offering $15K salary stipends to SIX lucky trainees and are inviting trainees and PIs to participate in our virtual dragon’s den competition!
How it works: interested trainees or principal investigators will register to pitch their project below. Abstracts will be assessed by our team to determine if the research is relevant to regenerative medicine and successful applicants will be notified and given a five-minute time slot at our event (trainee or PI or both can present). During the presentations, we will have a panel of experts (the dragons) vote anonymously on which projects will be awarded the grant! Then you are awarded the grant! It’s just that easy!
Award amount of $15,000 CAD to be used for trainee or postdoctoral fellow salary
- This award opportunity is particularly apt for summer students, graduate students in the first two years of their program, or trainees who do not currently hold other awards although all are welcome to apply!
- Principal investigators OR trainees (or both together!) are invited to the application process however the award must be used for trainee or PDF salaries/stipends only
- Award recipient must be employed as a post-doctoral fellow or registered to an accredited graduate program in mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science, statistics, medicine, biology, or engineering at the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University or University of Victoria
- Applicants must be working on a project with a specific focus on regenerative medicine and/or cell therapy
- The stipend should support the trainee or post-doctoral fellow in the advancement of their educational goals and/or scientific projects whereby the recipient will be
- Developing techniques and methodologies
- Gaining knowledge of scientific, scholarly ideas or materials.
- Gathering data for own thesis or research project
- Analyzing findings for own thesis/research project
- Conducting lab experiments and/or studies to further own thesis/research
- Although not required, applications/projects that collaborate with more than one principal investigator/lab/institution will be favored over single-investigator projects
- New projects that would otherwise not be pursued during the applicant’s thesis are strongly encouraged!
Applicants are required to complete a web-based notice-of-intent assessing their eligibility for this award by no later than 11:59pm, February 28th, 2022. Applicants being considered for the stipend will be contacted and given a 5-minute time slot in our dragon’s den competition taking place March 15th starting at 9:30AM (SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON JUDGE AVAILABILITY). Judging will be done by an anonymous and random selection of principal investigators in the BCREGMED community and will be based on
- Quality of research proposal (clear description of proposed methodology)
- Innovation and novelty of the project
- Quality of expected contributions and extent to which they may advance the field of regenerative medicine—contributions may include publications, patents, reports, posters, abstracts, monographs, presentations, creative outputs, knowledge translation outputs, community products, etc.
- Enthusiasm for research, originality, initiative, autonomy, relevant community involvement and outreach
Following the dragon’s den competition, successful trainees or PDFs will be notified by our team no later than March 2nd, 2022.
Please email [email protected] with any questions, with “2021 DRAGON’S DEN” as the subject line. Please note it may take a few weeks to receive and review your application. Only successful applicants will be contacted with a time slot.
Oops! We could not locate your form.